Injuries to the spinal cord, even minor ones, can be catastrophic to victims. The consequences are often devastating: paralysis, limited mobility, and long term care may take a serious toll on the health and finances of the injured person. Fortunately, there are resources available to Los Angeles spinal cord injury victims to get the treatment and benefits needed to move forward in life.
If a spinal cord injury was the result of an accident or incident of carelessness brought on by another party’s negligence, injury victims may be able to file spinal cord injury lawsuits to hold wrongdoers accountable. Los Angeles is home to many qualified and experienced personal injury attorneys who can stand up for the legal rights of the injured to have their voices heard.
Why is the spinal cord important?
The spinal cord is a vital part of the body’s central nervous system. Inside the spine, nerve tissues run from the brain and through the back, carrying electrical impulses that tell our extremities when and how to move. Should this connection be damaged or severed, victims may lose part or even all ability to walk, talk, or perform other basic functions.
Parts of the spinal cord
- Sacral vertebrae – the lowest part of the spine, comprised of five bones sitting between the hip bones.
- Lumbar – Atop the sacral vertebra, the lumbar area of the spine is made up of five bones and disks. Often referred to as the “lower back.”
- Thoracic – Centered in the mid to lower back between the neck and lumbar. 12 bones make up this part of the spine.
- Cervical – One of the most vital parts of the spinal cord, the cervical area sends and receives electrical impulses from the rest of the body. Seven bones make up this crucial area of the spine.
Types of spinal cord injuries
Pressure or contusions of the spinal cord may cause any of several types of injuries, many of them life altering and quite serious. Spinal cord injuries are characterized into two types: complete and incomplete. Depending on the extent of paralysis, the injury will be categorized into one of these two classifications.
- Complete spinal cord injuries: paraplegia and tetraplegia are types of complete spinal cord injuries. These types of injuries result in the loss of bowel control and the loss of motor functions below the neck.
- Incomplete spinal cord injuries: Victims may have some sensation in their body below the injury to spinal cord but will most likely suffer from severe limitations in mobility.
Los Angeles spinal cord injury attorneys
If your spinal cord injury was caused in an accident caused by someone else’s recklessness, carelessness, or otherwise negligent behavior, you may be able to hold them accountable and file a Los Angeles spinal cord injury lawsuit to recover compensation for your injuries. Whether you suffered your injury in a car accident, in the workplace, or any other situation, contact an experienced Los Angeles spinal cord injury attorney about your case and begin your road to recovery and justice.